I am looking forward to being a part of this exchange. So, I'm told I must post my answers to these questions on my blog for my sender Pal to learn about me. Here goes.....
1. What is/are your favorite yarns to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I've been collecting Belangor, Bouton D'Or , and Schulana 100 % Angora balls to eventually knit the diamond pillow in Debbie Bliss's Home book. I also love Morehouse Farm Merino and Blue Sky Alpaca yarns. The only yarn I have issues with is Muench's Touch Me, because it worms like crazy! But, it's a dream to touch! How sad for me!
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Well, when I was at Stitches East 2006, one vendor displayed her needles from a canvas over- the- door shoe bag and I thought that this was just genius! So, I do the same and it hangs over the back of the door to my Yarn Room. I has room too for scissors, rulers, etc.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I started knitting in the early '80's, but was more of a crocheter till 1999 when i became more serious and consistant about it. I am self taught, and through the grace of my knitting mentors over the years, Eileen and Jeanie, I consider myself to possess intermediate skills, and on a really, good day, say, like when a Haley's comet-like event occurs, somewhat advanced!
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
No, put that can be easily remedied! I'd consider KnitPicks!
5. What's your favorite scent?
I am partial to vanilla, gardenia, and clean cotton scents.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
If Weight watchers is reading this-ABSOLUTELY NOT!
Seriously, I must truthfully admit my favorite sweet in the whole wide universe is Chocolate Covered Strawberries, followed by Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
I possess a drop spindle, roving and my spin factor is very low, I must admit. I gave up finally when I was unable to spin my collie's fur! Can do homemade CD, and I love to do this too! Musically, I like Kim Richey, Tobey Keith,Queen, and Springstein. I like to collect knitting books, dye yarn, collect Americana things, learn to make simple soaps (have some glycerine and molds to start this project!)rubber stamp cards, sew and knit little baby things (want to seriously begin quilting because have had the tools and desire for years), gardening, like to read Wallie Lamb, John Irving, James Michenor, and Stephen King. Love T.V. shows like Law& Order, Lost, 24, Heroes, The Nine, Jericho, My Name is Earl, and The Office. I like to garden and bake. I like making stitch markers. I'm starting to collect fabric. Not sew anything with it, mind you, but just collect it for the colors and pattern designs. Go figure!
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I 've notice that over the years my home's palate has evolved into white walls with red/ burgundy/maroon and navy or light blue color accents. Some green thrown in with mauve here and there. But, I love all colors. Been trying to incorporate a bit of pink into my wardrobe lately.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Have darling husband, delightful son, 2 elderly cats and one adorable collie who sheds fur when I just look at him!
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
I seem to love hats on everyone but me, but that doesn't make me give up my search for the perfect hat for me! I have knitted myself all types of scarves, and want to make some colorful mittens for myself. I just felted my blue/gray white striped poncho because i thought that the size of the wool(chunky) and the stripes made me look like a house. So, I want to knit an elegant poncho next time.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Wow, that's a tough one! Ideally, a sweater for myself! Or a shawl. But, I guess I most like knitting the Mason-Dixon Ballband Dish Cloth the most because I have and continue to knit so many of them suckers! I've completed only two sweater for myself because it seems I am always knitting for others, you know, birthdays, shower gifts, hostess gifts, just becauses...
13. What are you knitting right now?
Mason-Dixon Log Cabin blanket, dishcloth, baby hats and booties, husband's sweater that he's been waiting to wear for FIVE YEARS!
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
I adore anything handmade that anyone was taken the time to make just for me!
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
No needle preferences.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
I love my ball winder and am fearful of all swifts! just have the worst luck with unwinding skeins, no matter how I attempt it! I always wind up twisted! So I just go at it slowly by hand! Less trauma, for me and the yarn!
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
I would truthfully say The Husband's Sweater. So many false starts and frogging/tinking along the way.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Thanksgiving, followed by Christmas.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
I love to collect all colors of 100% Angora balls, buttons, fabric, knitting books and needles, old and new, Fenton Glass Lincoln Inn table wear
and Primitive Americana.
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I am interested in what lies between the covers of the Harry potter inspired Classical Knits book due out in May. Jill Vosburg's Pacific Cove and Heartbeat Sweater patterns from Just One More Row. I covet Brittany ebony needles. I. Truly. Do. I am enamored by Morehouse Farm's Monet Yarn-Steps at Vetheuil to knit a scarf or shawl.
I subscribe to interweave Knits, Vogue Knitting, and Have been toying with the idea of adding Knitters because I always end up buying the latest issue anyway!
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I just learned how to knit 2 toe up socks on one long circular needle, courtesy of
so I believe now I am approaching the self actualization level of Maslow's Hierarchy of Knitting Needs! I am at peace with that knowledge.
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
See above. Yes, my sock yarns take up 2 dresser drawers in my Yarn Room
23. When is your birthday?
Too soon, if you ask me! February 23rd! I'll be 51. FABULOUSLY 51! Need to keep saying this out loud. But not in a scary way!
That's it for my Knitting True Confessions! A peek into my Knitorious Soul!